Re: HYB: germination - touching seeds

I did experiment one year putting one seed per cell in some four pak plastic containers. But it was way back in the bad old days when I was trying to germinate seeds outdoors, and was 'normally' getting around 3% germination. Not enough seedlings came up to learn anything.

Mike Sutton posted a photo several years ago of their seedlings planted one seed per cell in some big seed starter flats. Seems like they stopped using that technique, but might be worth trying to get in touch with him to see whether it worked or not.

<Does anyone know if this has a ripening effect on other seed within close
proximity?  Or is it just an old wives tale? >

Most daubers I've talked with plant that way, but I don't know of anybody (other than the Suttons) who've experimented much planting other ways. My unshelled seeds were certainly in close proximity!

Ethylene is part of the seed ripening process - not sure if it's production, consumption, or both.