HYB: avoiding contamination in crosses

I know that in general, there is not huge concern about bees assisting with man-made
  crosses, but I am contemplating making a large cross to see if I can repeat the data that I
  obtained from the Aunt Mary X Romantic Evening cross.  This cross yielded at least 2
  plicatas from 200+ seedlings.  Looking at Romantic Evening's pedigree, you wouldn't expect
  it to have a plicata gene.  So I have questioned where I may have made an error or if there
  was possibility of contamination.
  This time I want to take any steps that I can to reduce any opportunities for contamination in
  the cross.
  I know that I can open the bloom, and remove the standards and falls.  I can also remove the
  anthers.   Not sure if the bloom need to be protected in some manner before it is open.
  Wondered what all of you do, and what other suggestions you would have.
  Robin Shadlow
  zone 5 NE
  where hooray the snow is melting!!!

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time