Re: HYB:Germination and rebloom

In a message dated 2/19/2007 2:46:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

In a  cross with strong rebloom, I found different rebloom characteristics
in
the 1st and 2nd year's germination!  Will this be consistent in  these
irises
as the years pass?  Will this pattern repeat in  other strong rebloom
crosses?

Betty W. posed the above questions. I don't believe there have ever been
controlled studies of the subject.  On the other hand, I continue to think  that
the rebloom characteristic is closely connected to hybrid vigor and  its
impact on vernalization. There is in nature only one known species that  fairly
consistently reblooms and that is Iris subbiflora (syn. Iris  biflora Linn.).
This species is itself a hybrid with a chromosome number of  2n=40. Reblooming
irises came into being after man started making wide  crosses.  The great Dykes
was the first to note the relationship  between hybridity and rebloom. See The
Genus Iris narrative under  Iris lurida. (In my working copy it is p. 172).
Clarence Mahan in  northern VA.