Re: HYB:Germination and rebloom

In a message dated 2/19/2007 10:18:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
CEMahan@aol.com writes:

<<On the other hand, I continue to think  that  the  rebloom characteristic
is closely connected to hybrid vigor and   its impact on vernalization. >>

Good Morning Clarence,

It's quite possible that my understanding of hybrid vigor is skewed.   I
consider the ability to survive to be a characteristic of vigor.

In the seedling patch, I often see weak seedlings that  rebloom.  Others are
relatively slow to increase.  They do not  have what I would call hybrid
vigor.  Some barely replace themselves from  year to year.

One of my most beautiful reblooming seedlings bloomed both spring and fall
and bloomed out before it could establish.  It lasted for two springs and  one
fall.  Another of the same color pattern is about to do the  same.   The new
one is inferior in other ways too.

I currently have three reblooming seedlings I'd like to introduce but won't
because they don't grow well.

The rebloomers are usually vigorous and strong, but not always.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!