Re: Re: HYB: 2nd year germination

In a message dated 2/20/2007 5:55:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

<<Betty, does this seem to fit with your second year seedlings  that had
more summer rebloom?  (i.e., did they seem stronger, or  enough stronger
to account for summer rebloom?)>>
The most vigorous of the 1810 is a 1920's retro bloom!  And does  rebloom.
Of the 18 that put up summer or fall stalks last year, my  favorite looks like
it's going to be slow to increase.  Since these were  planted the spring of
2005, it could be that it's just later to put up  increase.  It may be flush
again this spring.  The rest have various  degrees of vigor as I interpret it.
The plants all seemed healthy with no  outbreaks of leaf spot etc.
In the 1812 cross, the most productive plant (planted 2005) put up a stalk
late in the fall of 2005, 1 in late April 2006, 3 stalks in June & July, 1
stalk in early Oct with plants to spare.  Not a pretty bloom in my  opinion.  One
of the grayed amber things.  Another and very pretty one  also bloomed one
stalk in the June July time period but not in October.   Doesn't have the plant
increase of the other one.
I don't see any wide spread disease problems in my beds.  I have  almost no
rot on established plants, only on new things being introduced into  the
garden.  I don't have borers.  Not yet.
I see a wide variety of plant characteristics in most crosses.
Since I moved out here, I've seen more of the "failure to grow" in the
seedlings.  I don't remember seeing this in Alvaton, but I'm sure it was  there.  I
grew a lot of seedling but was also raising a family.  Now,  I'm growing more
seedlings than I have in several years and have more time to  observe.
Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!