Re: HYB:Germination and rebloom

In a message dated 2/20/2007 7:30:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

It's  quite possible that my understanding of hybrid vigor is skewed.   I
consider the ability to survive to be a characteristic of vigor.

would agree that the ability to survive is a characteristic of vigor.  Hybrid
vigor, or heterosis, on the other hand has been the subject of many
scientific studies. The vigor that accompanies hybridity  normally diminishes in later
generations if the hybrids are selfed.  Likewise, in-breeding is often
accompanied by the appearance of deficient vigor  and other faults in seedlings as I
am sure you know.
My reblooming irises have normally been planted in separate beds from once
blooming irises. The superior vigor of the rebloomers as a class has always
been  apparent. That is not to say that some once blooming irises do not have
outstanding vigor. It is difficult to find an iris that is more vigorous than
'Jesse's Song' or 'Dusky Challenger,' for example.
Earl Hall always maintained that the odds of obtaining rebloom in seedlings
were improved by crossing a rebloomer with a vigorous, early-flowering once
bloomer that came from totally different lines.  I tend to think he was
correct. A good example of such an iris is 'Rosalie Figge.' Clarence in northern  VA
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.