Re: HYB: avoiding contamination in crosses

Christian, I have stripped blooms before without problems here,  never unopened blooms I guess.  But it gets so humid by peak that it helps to remove the standards and the falls, and if it rains, all of the spathes on the entire stalk, or they will hold water.  The water does heat up enough that it is noticeably warm, and rot follows soon.  It takes time to strip down the stalk and I figure I must really want that cross if I will go to that trouble : )
  Hadn't thought about hairnets, that does seem like a better alternative to bagging, which I don't think would work well here.  Will have to try it, thanks Paul.
  Robin Shadlow
  zone 5 NE

christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com> wrote:
  I've observed that some of my flat crosses fail because those pod parents with double ovaries tend to pool rain water near the ovary. I'm concerned that mutilation of a normal 3/3 bloom might create a similar opportunity.

Not sure if it would be applicable, but I saw on PBS where some pumpkin breeders taped the bloom shut after pollenation to prevent contamination.

Robin Shadlow wrote:
I know that in general, there is not huge concern about bees assisting with man-made
crosses, but I am contemplating making a large cross to see if I can repeat the data that I
obtained from the Aunt Mary X Romantic Evening cross. This cross yielded at least 2
plicatas from 200+ seedlings. Looking at Romantic Evening's pedigree, you wouldn't expect
it to have a plicata gene. So I have questioned where I may have made an error or if there
was possibility of contamination.

This time I want to take any steps that I can to reduce any opportunities for contamination in
the cross.

I know that I can open the bloom, and remove the standards and falls. I can also remove the
anthers. Not sure if the bloom need to be protected in some manner before it is open.

Wondered what all of you do, and what other suggestions you would have.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

where hooray the snow is melting!!!

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time