To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [iris]HYB:Germination and rebloom

In a message dated 2/20/2007 12:39:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
CEMahan@aol.com writes:

<<My reblooming irises have normally been planted in separate beds from once

blooming irises. The superior vigor of the rebloomers as a class has always
been  apparent.>>

Clarence, I'm guessing that most breeders introduce only their best.
Hopefully, they are the cream of the crop. The ones that lack increase or other
forms of vigor never make the open market.

People that choose to breed rebloomers should know that the seedling patch
will have just as many bad seedlings as any other type of iris breeding.

More sharing of information.  In 1996 I planted the strongest of the
seedlings from 1995. None had bloomed when I decided to move in 1998. After attempting to leave the irises behind, I rushed out and dug my favorites of the earlier seedling beds and the strongest (1-5 per) in each of 27 crosses from
1995.  (sight unseen)  Most rebloomed some.   Three have been introduced!
Several others have been used in  breeding.

Wonder how many of the remaining seedlings would have rebloomed even though
they weren't as strong?  Sometimes, when space or time is limited,  I ONLY
plant the strongest in a cross. I just don't see those pretty weak ones much of
the time!

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!

<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.