Re: Re: HYB: germination, temperature

On average the stratification should only take twelve weeks, but as we have been dicussing lately in here it seems the seeds from late blooming parents seem to take longer than 12 weeks and early bloomers to germinate earlier than that.  And then there was the discussion of the rebloomers with some tendency for variable germination.  As well as the couple of postings I have of the seeds that germinated at 6 weeks stratification (and for the past 7 years I have ALWAYS had to wait the 12 weeks).  I have never had the patience to wait 5 months, but will consider it after reading some of these posts lately and we can seem to come to some conclusions about what things benefit from being held over.

The temperature cycling can help those seeds that are holding back (obviously haven't started germinating yet).  Right now we don't have a good idea of what crosses it would help better.  But if a batch of seeds hasn't started after 5 months it is worth a shot.

I will mention that I have had some crosses that hadn't started to germinate after 12 weeks and it didn't help but get a few seeds germinated.  This particualr cross I am going to try again and hold it over for another year and see what happens.

It might depend if the parents you are using are late bloomers.  Keep in mind that should be relative to the Iris as a whole, not your region.  What might be a mid season bloomer for you might be a late or very late bloomer somewhere else, or what might be a very early bloomer might be a mid season bloomer somewhere else.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7