Re: HYB: germination second year, edge of pot:

Thanks Chuck.

How warm do the seed pots usually get before they go into the fridge? With your peak bloom season in mid June and ungerminated seeds going into the fridge by about June, I'm guessing they go in the fridge before any nighttime temperatures go above ..hmmm, maybe a better way for me to think of this is in terms of what vegetable seeds start germinating - warm enough for beans and maybe corn, probably not for squash and cucumbers?

I'm wondering about the return of dormancy once seeds get too warm - in other words, if they went in the fridge earlier (before they stop germinating) if it might not take as much additional chilling for the rest of the seeds.

Another observation here - some of the crosses that don't germinate well seem to have more germination from seeds that appear to have slipped down the edge of the pot. Where I'm guessing they are exposed to a wider range of temperature fluctuations. Any of the rest of you see this?

<There are usually a number of seeds that don't germinate, usuaually the ones that got planted the latest (about Feb)

They  don't dry out.

One year I forgot about them and found them germinated and frozen near end of December.

?No losses from the freezing, it didn't seem to faze them.

Chuck Chapman>