Re: HYB: germination, maternal effect, mold

That's another variable that may have contributed to good germination here this year - I made extra efforts to mulch, Miracle Gro, and water plants bearing pods this year, especially IMMORTALITY. And went on a stalk borer (NOT the same as iris borer) squishing rampage. Definitely had more pods mature successfully, and wouldn't be surprised if they also had more nutrients in seeds.

That may have countered any potentially bad effects from chilling fresh seeds while still in the pod.

Another old wives tale I've heard from several different sources is that mold on seeds after harvest may actually improve germination success/rate. Any of you observe this?

Re: stalk borers - they were rampant in the salvias (Black and Blue, Indigo Spires, Pineapple Sage) and wild Verbesina that is one of my pretty weeds that I haven't the energy or will to keep under control. They had been getting worse in the maturing iris stalks, causing more to rot and fall every year.

<Week seedlings in the first year of growth can be a maternal effect, such as lack of nutrient in seed.

Chuck Chapman>