HYB:Seedlings: "Failure to grow"

I'll elaborate on this situation.  Just so we all know what I'm  talking
about.  Main example is the seedling crop of crosses made in 2003  and planted in
2004.  I'd just moved out here, had lots of prepared beds  and planted
everything, including old seedlings that had been in pots for  awhile.
Several seedlings, but less than a dozen, grew about 4 inches tall and then
quit growing.  As the other seedlings around them grew and flourished, some
even bloomed that fall, these seedlings just SAT there.  They looked fine  that
first fall as too color and visible health.  (no increase) Over  winter (some
time after fall) they just disappeared.  I don't know  just when or how they
disappeared, but when I looked for them the next spring  they were gone.  This
batch was really noticeable since they were among  plants that were quite
vigorous.  Their positions are marked by obvious  empty spaces.
There is one in the VANISHING ACT X NIGHT GAME planting.  Extra  visible due
to the exuberance of it's siblings.  I will check it later  today and see if
it is still there.  I've not noticed any of these taking  off after the first
year, but in the future I'll mark any that show this  characteristic for future
study or observation.
I've not bothered to move these.  I figured it was mother nature's  way, just
like the albinos.
Chuck is this what you are referring to with this statement?
"Week seedlings in the first year of growth can be a maternal effect, such
as lack of nutrient in seed.
This is reffering to elements re seed and  germination, not something to do
with genetics of plant that germinated. Thus  the plant can be weak ?the first
year not as a result of anything to do with  plant per say.
This maternal effect is usually gone by end of first  year."
In the year 2006 I experienced seedlings with failure to grow, three albino
seedlings, and one pair of twins.  These are seed  collected in 2005 which
sprouted and were planted in the spring of  2006. In addition there have been
some interesting surprises in this  batch.  Mainly surprises within crosses.
I've been doing this enough  to know that the surprises I see this spring will be
the most interesting!   (for me)
Secret Service X 1625-1Re (Aug rebloom) only produced 12 seed.  Four
seedlings sprouted and were planted.  Yesterday, they are some of the  strongest
looking seedlings in the bed.  (more winter hardy) This surprised  me!  But what
will they do in spring?  I think I know, but there will  be more surprises!

Aw, sweet spring!  I hear you calling!
Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!