HYB: Seed germination

I am interested in Lindas account of seeds germinating best at the edge
of the pots.  I posted a picture of one of my new seedling rows on
Iris-Photos about ten days ago.  The ground is heavy clay which cracks
after being loosened with cultivation and then watered.  I had a number
of these cracks in the wet soil into which I planted my seeds.
Occasionally I lost a seed down one.  Now I notice that every seed
accidentally dropped into a crack is growing.  Not so with the ones
carefully planted = inch deep.

I still have only 50 percent germination.  No new ones have shown up
since the picture.  Light showers have kept the surface moist, so I know
thats not the problem.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9