HYB: Weak crosses

I have had some interesting experiences with strong seedlings from small
weak, crosses.  My Lady Friend X Bubbling Along (45-71) came from a pod
with only five seeds.  Only two germinated and one of those was very
small, failed to increase or bloom and ended in the trash barrel. The
survivor made an excellent stalk last year.  Its picture brought
positive comments, and now it has made a large, healthy clump that looks
as though it will bloom very early again.
Last year I was disappointed in my Pond Lily X Fogbound cross.  Only six
germinated and only two survived the summer.  One has made a nice
healthy clump; the other looks like the weakling described above.  I am
eagerly awaiting the bloom of the good one.  Has anyone noticed that the
strong survivor of a weak cross has a better than average chance of
being an exceptionally good iris?
I also have seedlings up from crosses by Fogbound on Elegant Girl and
Valentine's Day.  Right now they are nothing to crow about, less that 50
percent germination.  I hope for more, but it has been my experience
that those that don't come up with the first ones just don't.  I have
only had one seed that germinated the second year.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9