Re: Re :HYB;Maternal Effect

I would agree.  We do know that some Iris don't bloom well if at all until they get more established.   Generally this would apply to rhizomes from other climates, but why shouldn't this apply to seedlings as well?  They have to start from basically nothing.

My Frank Adams seedling that I cherish right now was such a seedling.  It didn't bloom until the third Spring.  I had only kept it because of the cross and it was vigorous.  Now dividing it doesn't even phase it and it is only in marginally good soil.

How it behaves in it's mature state should really be what counts.  Seedling vigor is a good indication, but certainly not the only plant habit characteristic to be considered.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7