Re: Re :HYB;Maternal Effect

This is TORCHLIGHT PARADE (Reg, 2001).  It was among 40-some seedlings
salvaged after a neighboring farmer disced 2 years' worth of seedlings that
I was growing on leased land.  The markers had been scattered or destroyed,
so its precise parentage was lost.  However, from what I had been doing in
my breeding program, I knew that it had WABASH on one side.  The other
parent was probably KAHILI, but one could only say that it was an unknown
variegata.  At any rate, it didn't bloom for 10 years.  During that time it
was moved once, from full sun to a semi-shaded area.  Finally, it bloomed,
but never giving more than two buds.  Eventually, I moved it to full sun
again.  It began to increase rapidly, sending up many stalks, with as many
as 11 buds.  That year, it took "best seedling" at the Fredericksburg Area
Iris Society show.

It has never set seed, and until 2004, I was unable to get any pollen from
it.  Then I was able to coax some mushy pollen out of it and, much to my
surprise, got a pod on a seedling that I consider important.  It produced 10
seeds, of which 6 germinated.  True to their heritage, they haven't bloomed
yet.  But I'm patient.  --  Griff

> Paul Archer wrote:
>
> " We do know that some Iris don't bloom well if at all until they get more
> established.   Generally this would apply to rhizomes from other
> climates, but
> why shouldn't this apply to seedlings as well? "

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Torchlight Parade 2d.jpg]