To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Re :HYB;Maternal Effect

In a message dated 2/23/2007 10:36:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,
irischapman@aim.com writes:

<< This means tht it is not a good ideas to judge strength of seedling too
soon, as you may not be judging plant, but the seed it  germinated from.>>

This is true. Some that plant the strongest throw the remaining  seedlings
away. It's a good practice to put the remaining seedlings back into pots.
This way all is not lost, if you've missed a good plant.

Rebloomers can often be spotted at transplant time. When I lift a seedling that has a lot more lateral/feeder roots I always place it at the first of
the row so I can keep track of it.  Almost without fail, it will  be the
strongest grower and often it reblooms. It can also be the ugliest. I've never had
one of these fail to grow.

When I have space to plant all of the seedlings, I group them within the bed according to strength. First the strong, then the middle class and finally the weak. One cross had so much PBF that I grouped according to the PBF, but
this was rare.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!