To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] HYB:Rebloomers

Anita, I have the utmost respect for all opinions.? Doesn't necessarily mean I agree!? <vbg>?

<<If rebloom is to be a facet of our hybridizing goals should
it be required to rebloom in more than one region/conditions before registered?>>

Most of the people working with rebloomers and other forms of irises do it for the love of the plant.? Maybe the chase!? Hybridizing irises is not a profitable project for the average back yard hybridizer.?

More restrictions will will make the endeavor more expensive and more difficult.? Some will say, "Why bother?"? This is counter productive to what I'm advocating.? I want MORE people to breed for rebloom, not less.?

Maybe the general public should be better educated about rebloom?? Learn which irises may or may not rebloom for them?? Or at least learn who to ask in their own region.? My popularity at local shows is not due to my beauty, but my rebloom knowledge!? <vbg>?

Rebloom appears to be?what many in the general iris public, non-AIS people, want in their gardens.??There IS a big clamor for rebloomers.? They do need to be educated as to expectations.?

Some iris suppliers have seen this as a market to fill.? Others?still resist.??I'm not saying they are wrong.? It's just not compatible to my primary goal . . . to fill all gardens in all climates with rebloomers!?

Not that I expect all irises to rebloom in all climates during my life time!? I'm not that much of a dreamer!? It will happen faster if more people are working toward that end.? With the right parents we can have pretty irises with good rebloom in most climates.??Some gardeners will never supply the proper environment for rebloom.? We can't change that part.?

Betty Wilkerson/South Central KY/zone 6.?Chasing the dream.?