Re: HYB:Rebloomers

The obvious reason that there are fewer hybridizers in rebloom is that it IS hard.

  Certainly doesn't mean that it isn't worth doing.  But it is easy to get discouraged when you are not obtaining the form and patterns that you see elsewhere.  I guess I don't get too concerned when I look at the number of introductions because I know of many people who are working on rebloomers, many in cold climates.  And I would not want inferior plants introduced just because they rebloom.  And I do think Anner is right, the standards have been raised and that is a good thing!

  I agree with Betty that it is a good idea to introduce non-reblooming irises from rebloom programs if they have enough merit to warrant introduction.   It is an opportunity to get them out there  for others to be able to use.  Memphis Miss is a great example.  In fact, I would argue that a plant that was inferior in most ways, but had exceptional rebloom, would be more properly shared with other hybridizers as a seedling rather than being introduced.

  As for the extra care, I actually do have a small number of rebloomers that will perform here with no added care, they are interspersed through regular irises and get no extra water or fertilizer.   Yes, they are old, and yes they need improvement in form, branching,  bud count and substance, but I have been using them with the best parents I can get my hands on- especially those that will rebloom in warm climates.  Its going to be a long time yet before I see if my ideas are any good, but hopefully crossing the 2nd (3, 4, 5th)  generation will produce some improvements in form on reblooming seedlings for zone 5.

  There isn't any way around it, it is a numbers game.  And with rebloom the numbers it takes really goes up.  That is why this group is so valuable- the more info we share on parents that work, the more success people are likely to have.  It is hard for me to imagine ever giving up on hybridizing for rebloom- there is just no doubt in my mind that I will NEVER be satisfied until I get what I am after.

  And I'm with Mike, if you do hold out for higher quality and better colors in rebloomers- there is sure to be a market for your efforts.

  And so many of us have just come through a truly wretched year.  It HAS to get better  :  )

  Robin Shadlow
  zone 5 NE

  wishin spring would get here already- so many crosses to be made!