Re: Fw: Hyb Registered Rebloomers

Working hard to advance qualities in rebloomers, we try not to adhere to the "yes, but it reblooms" mind set. Seedling patch is looking really exciting, many new colors and form improvements. I remember 15 years ago phrases like "not bad for a rebloomer" or "nothing new, but it reblooms", those utterances seem to have faded over the past several years, now its just "Wow" or "that's cool, and it reblooms too?!". For me to introduce an iris, it has to been as good as if not better than any spring bloomer slated for introduction. Rebloom is always a consideration in the selection process for us, if there are two similar flowers being considered for introduction and one reblooms but the other doesn't...the spring only bloomer goes to the compost heap.
Mike Sutton
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Archer" <pharcher@mindspring.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Fw: Hyb Registered Rebloomers

It could also be (as is in my case) that the quality of rebloomers I am getting doesn't come close to comparing favorably to the Spring bloom plants in the quality of flower characteristics. The standard has been set quite high in these past few years for Spring bloomer Intros. Also the quest for better rebloom characteristics is under more scrutiny. Rebloom is not as rare as it used to be.

Just because a seedling reblooms on a decent plant is not reason enough to introduce it... in my opinion and perhaps in others' minds as well. Shouldn't it be?

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7