Re: Fw: Hyb Registered Rebloomers

Paul -- I think that you, Mike Sutton and others have it right -- the time when an iris could be introduced just because it rebloomed is long past. Still, I think that it might be counterproductive to hold rebloomers to all the same standards as oncers. Bud count is one such standard. If the rationale for "requiring" 7 or more buds on a stalk is the length of time that the grower gets to enjoy the bloom, then might not the fact that it blooms twice or more during the year offset a smaller bud count?

As regards the question of where rebloomers are and aren't hardy, I can say this: I only began hybridizing deliberately for rebloom after I happened to get reblooming seedlings from crosses involving advertised rebloomers that never rebloomed here. That experience demonstrated to me that genes carry powers of improvement of which I had been unaware. Similarly -- a topic about which we've often talked -- the matter of whether one should acquire irises, rebloomers or not, that have a reputation of not surviving in one's zone. My response, as a hybridizer, is yes. If the cultivar seems to have something in it that you'd like to incorporate in your breeding, do it. Example: My third planting of BEST BET over a period of a dozen years or so has just expired, once again. But I and others have introduced vigorous, hardy seedlings from that pretty rebloomer. So, I don't regret the few dollars spent or the care given. The desired genes have been captured and passed on. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Archer" <pharcher@mindspring.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Fw: Hyb Registered Rebloomers

It could also be (as is in my case) that the quality of rebloomers I am getting doesn't come close to comparing favorably to the Spring bloom plants in the quality of flower characteristics. The standard has been set quite high in these past few years for Spring bloomer Intros. Also the quest for better rebloom characteristics is under more scrutiny. Rebloom is not as rare as it used to be.

Just because a seedling reblooms on a decent plant is not reason enough to introduce it... in my opinion and perhaps in others' minds as well. Shouldn't it be?

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7