Re: Re: HYB: Rebloom

As Betty knows, I am working on combining her groups 1 & 2.?

As Linda knows, (I think) I like to get people talking about the different theories of rebloom breeding about this time each spring.

Bloom season will soon start in the warmer regions!? Then, there will be no time or patience for discussion.?

Once again, I want to encourage current?hybridizers and possible new hybridizers to work with rebloomers.? If only one cross!?

Ben Hager's time limit for world wide rebloom has come and gone without it happening.? I agree with Mike Sutton that we are getting closer . . . but not for everyone!?

If people in the uppers zones 4-7 are discouraged from making crosses with rebloomers (in what ever way) it still will not happen!? Not for those of us in the central portions of the USA and other countries with similar climates!??

If we don't introduce the reblooming progenitors, how do the unknown hybridizers acquire this material and carry forth the challenge??

I agree that the day is gone when any piece of plant material is introduced just because it reblooms.? Almost all of my 145+ from 1812 rebloom.? Even with the group of second year's germinants blooming in July, there still may not be any introductions from this group.? Only time will tell.? (I don't like the colors)?

Most of my group one favorites still need work to be near perfect.? Many have terrible branching, some have unacceptable standards, while others have a bud count of 4 or 5!? Yes, they do.? Count them!? Many of them will not grow here without extreme pampering!?

Orange Star, one of my all time favorites, had it all!? Or did it?? It was tall, with?perfect branching!? Memory says it had a decent bud count!? Of course, I'll never get to count the buds!? It was AWESOME, but . . .

It only lived and bloomed for one bloom cycle!??(1986)? Five stalks!??

Are we willing to settle??

Is it really all or nothing???<very big grin>

Betty Wilkerson/KY/zone 6? My goal is not to irritate but to agitate!?