Re: REB: cold climate rebloomers

In my experience vigor is one characteristic that is easier to overcome than most of the other characteristics.  The hardest part is getting vigor combined with the other characteristics in one plant.  I would pick plants to cross it with that have at least moderate vigor, broad blue-green and no less faulted in flowers or stalks than 'Lilting' is itself.   Two low vigor plants crossed can produce vigorous seedlings, though not many usually.  Your goal should be to obtain maybe around 200 seed in hopes that at least 50 of them will germinate without extra forced germination methods or protracted germination times unless you decide to take those on.

You may notice vigor differences among seedling of the same cross in the first year, but it is the second and third years that vigor differences will be quite a bit more obvious.

You may also want to consider how you want to protect the young seedlings from the most severe weather extremes you mentioned until they are established clumps.  Once matured (probably after the second Autumn) let Nature take her course and do the culling for you then.  If not you may not know what their true potential is as they were too young.

After looking at your TB Iris photo pages I was pleased to see a few that I have been using heavily in my program and getting good results.  And now with your comments about 'Lilting' I will be working on adding it to my stock and working it into my lines.   Some good gene here and there.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 8