Re: CULT: Frank Adams

Very interesting information, Paul. Of the last three that you name, I'd expect the most promising -- or, at least, the most colorful -- results from the cross with Chinese Treasure. How has that worked out? Has the red beard transferred? Falls acceptably broad and arched or flared yet? -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Archer" <pharcher@mindspring.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Frank Adams

Yes, it would be nice. Keep in mind thhe picture is somewhat deceptive. The red is still a combination of pinkish anthocyanin and the yellow carotenoid presentas all other red iris to date are. Occaisionally as in some flowers there may be a small sector that doesn't produce the yellow pigemnt leaving the pink (red). It looks a cyan shade of pink, but different none the less. But in any case 'Frank Adams' has been reported to produce malvidin and perhaps the basic molecule can be altered chemically/genetically to be redder/pinker as in hollyhocks or fuschia.

'Frank Adams' is not that fertile as I have found, but it is a great grower. I have only gotten five crosses with it... 'Chinese Treasure', 'Loyalist', 'Lingering Love', 'Autograph' and 'Silverado'. Wouldn't ya know it the 'Silverado' cross wouldn't germinate using any method and most seeds embryos were deformed when I tried cutting the seeds to force them. The seedlings that I did get from the others and selected are notoriously infertile as well. I'm in the second and third generations with the 'Chinese Treasure', 'Lingering Love' and 'Loyalist' seedlings and that has taken NINE years. Of course they are all of less than desireable flower form, but we have to start somewhere.

One of these days!

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 8