Re: Re: HYB:Traits:parents

Hello again Betty. That's fascinating stuff!
I had thought while I was reading your last post.

I've read how reblooming irises need a lot more
input/care, in the form of extra fertilizer, water,
etc. in order to perform well. I know from my own
experiences with trying to grow known rebloomers in my
typical neglectful manner, that rebloomers probably
won't do so, without a certain amount of extra care. I
have to admit, I'd only ever really gotten rebloom
from GOLDEN CHILD (an SDB) and some fall-only bloom on
IMMORTALITY. Actually, my lack of care, has killed
outright, most of the TB's that I've planted. Borers
are usually the final nail in the coffin. I'm not one
to coddle (at least not for long anyway ;0).

So anyway, that long ramble leads me back to my
thought. I wonder how many seedlings iris hybridizers
are producing that may actually be rebloomers but
aren't showing it because of not being given that
necessary extra "whatever they might need, when they
need it" (extra water in summer, for example).

I'm hoping that by working at the diploid level, I
might be able to more quickly hybridize an iris
that'll tolerate all of the neglect and still rebloom
-- an iris tailored for the lazy gardener like me ;0)

Oh, while I've got ya...
I remember reading (can't remember where)-- someone
suggested crossing rebloomers with totally unrelated
vigorous non-rebloomers. I seem to think that they
were saying that you'd have just as good a chance of
getting rebloomers from that kind of cross, as from
crossing rebloomer X rebloomer. Maybe I misunderstood?
But it doesn't seem like that's the general consensus.
It would seem that rebloomer X rebloomer would be the
best strategy. Or maybe what I missed was that those
vigorous non-related once bloomers should be carriers
of rebloom.

Thanks for any clarification from your experiences,

Be a better friend, newshound, and