  From: thomas silvers
  To: iris-talk
  Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:35 PM
  Subject: [iris] Re: HYB:Traits:parents

  I can also appreciate that advice [to use a good new
  seedling with EVERYTHING!]. And since we're also on
  the topic of rebloom, I'll re-mention my most recent
  seedling patch surprise [I've already posted about
  these seedlings during the past two seasons].

  I've used my 24 chromosome bearded species-cross named
  CLOWN PANTS (Iris variegata X suaveolens var. mellita)
  to cross with just about any other diploid (24
  chromosome) beardeds I have. None of these other
  parents has ever rebloomed for me; and only half of
  the years does CLOWN PANTS send up a few repeat stalks
  a couple of weeks after the main flush. So as you'd
  expect, all of the seedlings I've been getting have
  been once-bloomers, except for...
  one cross, using a clone of Iris cengialtii (very
  similar to pallida). Four seedlings from this
  particular cross, have rebloomed in 2007 and again in
  2008. They've got a long way to go in the looks
  department, but I still think they're my best
  hybridizing surprise so far.

  So I'd definitely be a fan of the shotgun approach --
  cross with as many [widely] different parents as you
  possibly can. You never know which is gonna be that
  special combination.

  And maybe I can add some pieces to your rebloom theory
  puzzle, with my diploid dabblings. Here's the
  background of those diploid reblooming seedlings.
  1) Iris cengialtii - I've never heard of it reblooming
  2) CLOWN PANTS - like I mentioned, sends up a few
  repeat stalks (a few weeks after the main flush) about
  every other year for me. Two other people have
  mentioned that it has done that for them also.
  3) Iris variegata - the pod parent of CLOWN PANTS was
  a clone (named Beardsley) that is supposed to rebloom
  somewhere. It never did for me. But I recall Chuck
  Chapman saying that many Iris variegata clones rebloom
  regularly for him up there in Canada.
  4) Iris suaveolens var. mellita - the pollen parent of
  CLOWN PANTS, as far as I know, this little dwarf isn't
  known for rebloom either -- it certainly didn't
  rebloom for me!

  If it's any help, Iris suaveolens blooms VERY early
  (and only about 4 or 5 inches tall) and Iris variegata
  is one of the last beardeds to bloom here. I actually
  had to refrigerate the pollen of suaveolens to be able
  to use it months later on variegata.

  Oh and another piece of information... none of the
  other pallida X CLOWN PANTS crosses have given me any
  rebloomers yet.

  So... any ideas about what's going on here?

  Enjoying the discussion, Tom

  <<Betty wrote:>>

  Wouldn't it be nice if we could just look at an iris
  and know which of it's traits it will pass along,
  without having to make crosses to find out?? Even
  after crosses you still don't have the full picture,
  since it might?pass (genes) differently with different

  I'm really appreciating Barry Blyth's advice (from
  somewhere) to use a good new seedling with EVERYTHING!

  You never know what traits are hidden in the gene

  Anyone have any surprises you'd like to share, from
  the seedling patch??

  <<and in an earlier e-mail>>

  I like to get people talking about the different
  theories of rebloom breeding about this time each

  Be a better friend, newshound, and

  message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS