Re: Re: HYB:Traits:parents

Hello Loic,
You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear that CLOWN PANTS
is doing well for you. I hope that you do get to try
it out this spring.
I've had terrible luck with MERIT also. I'm not sure
what it wants -- maybe it's just homesick for the west
coast of USA. I think that's where it's from.
Rebloom among the diploids seems to be a rarity. I'm
not an authority, so anyone please correct anything
that I misunderstand; or add anything that would be
helpful. With that caveat, here are a few other
diploids that are reported to rebloom somewhere:
1) CONSUMMATION - I think I remember a catalog from
years ago that said it reblooms in California. It
doesn't rebloom for me, but grows fairly well. I've
tried quite a few crosses with it, but it has been a
little more stubborn than average. For me, it's been
more compatible with Iris variegata and close
derivatives. So far, I don't have any rebloom in the
seedlings. But I think Ken Fisher has used
CONSUMMATION a lot in his hybridizing of diploids --
which seems to have been at least partly aimed at
2) OZARK SKY - I have, and is growing OK but so far no
3) MERIT - hasn't done well for me at all
4) KEIRITH - similarly not happy here, but from the
first year's bloom, I did get offspring with CLOWN
PANTS. No rebloomers among them.
5) LADY DI - hasn't done well here, but in all
fairness, I tried to grow it in a pot. So it has every
reason to be unhappy.
6) Iris variegata - has some clones that are reported
to rebloom (especially for Chuck Chapman, in Canada)
7) MANISSES - I haven't grown
8) ASTRA GIRL - has been reported to rebloom somewhere
and grows great here (but no rebloom yet). I plan to
try crossing this one, with CLOWN PANTS and/or those
reblooming seedlings of CLOWN PANTS.

Good luck with your diploid crosses! And don't forget
about the old historic diploids.
Best wishes, Tom

<<Loic wrote:>>
Hello Thomas

Clown Pants is doing fine, i think it will give one
stalk this spring, and 3
growths for next year!
Not bad for an iris that has crossed the Atlantic in
late autumn!
Thanks again!
I has been in the green house all this time, and now
it has rooted, it's
outside, so it can have a bit of frost and sunshine
like its collegues.

I was hoping to cross it with Merit, a MTB that
litterature says can rebloom,
but it's dead!

So, i will put Clown Pants pollen on every diploide
alive, then wait two more
years to cross it with its children.
If luck is on our side, there should be some
rebloomers in 4 years, maybe 5!

Meantime, i'll try to get hold of Merit again!
Has anyone experienced rebloom with a diploid? It
would be great to share the
And a piece of rhyzome...!

Looking for last minute shopping deals?