Re: Re: Re: HYB:Traits:parents

Tom,
it's true that rebloomers are more likely to bloom if lightly fertilized about the end of regular bloom season and given a deep watering every 10 days or so, depending on mother nature's contributions.? The equivalent of an inch of rain.? For rebloom, it's important that the plants not go dormant.? Cycle rebloomers will break dormancy in the fall, but may be too late for bloom in many northern gardens.? Yes, water is important.?

My beds are 50 foot long with three rows if mature rhizomes or four rows if seedlings.? Two hoses per bed.? I'm in the process of downsizing and making permanent beds.? Once the new beds are established there will be no more rotation outside of the beds.? It will be . . . dig a clump, put in new nutrients, and replant.?

As to the parents to use for rebloomers, everyone has their own theory.? In my opinion, you have a better chance of rebloom in zones 4-7/8 if both parents are strong rebloomers.?

I've had great rebloom from Immortality x Champagne Elegance.? (ugly greyed blooms but several rebloomed for me in Alvaton.)?Corn Harvest x Immortality gave several rebloomers and one that I should have kept.?

Just this past fall, seedlings planted in late May, put up stalks that were too late to extend and bloom.? Tara's Choice x Again & Again AND Star Gate x Matrix.? These were watered to maintain life but not enough to promote rebloom.?

I've?gotten some pretty good rebloomers?by mixing California rebloomers with northern rebloomers.? Summer Radiance, a bright spot in anyone's day, is from Hindenburg x Lemon Reflection.? Radiant Bliss, which fascinates me from a distance, is from Earl of Essex x Hot Streak.? A combination of the two gave several rebloomers, but one honey colored one that has stolen my heart.? Unfortunatley, it may be slow to increase.?

Then I've crossed some of these back to stronger rebloomers in the next generation. ?Some great things bloomed from Radiant Bliss x Chatter.? Red on yellow with good branching.? Loved them.? No rebloom.?

At this point, I'm not sure there are "oncers."? It's been said (someone) that all irises have the ability to rebloom if given the chance.? Anyone had SILVERADO rebloom?? <vbg>? I see it as the ANTI-rebloomer!? Please email me if you've seen it rebloom.?

Maybe soaker hoses, carefully used, will give me?an answer to the Silverado question?? It's in the next row but real close to three clumps of Matrix.? I'm sure?some of the water will seep over that way!???

Sometimes the results are totally depressing.? Things you think should work don't.? Could be my lack of knowledge about genetics, who knows?? Although, I'm getting better, through experience.? There's usually enough surprises to keep it interesting.?

 someone
suggested crossing rebloomers with totally unrelated
vigorous non-rebloomers. I seem to think that they
were saying that you'd have just as good a chance of
getting rebloomers from that kind of cross, as from
crossing rebloomer X rebloomer.