Re: Info: Speaking of monies for new iris clubs

When the Miami Valley Iris Society was still in existence, we had an annual sale at the local farmers market, which happened to be associated with the Metroparks and held sometimes at a downtown Dayton location and other times at one of the horticultural centers within the park. The sale would last from 8am until noon on a Saturday, and we usually di it twice, with two weeks separating the sale. The sale proceeds were our only income for the year, but we averaged 3500-4000$ for the year, at least in the years I was involved. All rhizomes were donated to the club from member gardens. This gave us more than enough cash to fund our monthly meetings and our annual banquet with a guest speaker. All this was with an *active* membership of about 15 people.

John Bruce

----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Smith" <irisgrower@cableone.net>
To: <IrisEditors@yahoogroups.com>; <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:43 PM
Subject: [iris] Info: Speaking of monies for new iris clubs

Hi to all,

I've been told that some Regions have start up money that help new iris
clubs?
What regions? Or is this true?

If it is true, what were the results of your efforts and how did you fund
this. Do you feel the
money was wasted or put to good use?

I've written Kathy Chilton for Region 15 and she informs me we have a very
tight budget
for our region and to not get my hopes up.

So I was wondering, what I, or in the future our club, could do  to help.?
Or anyone or club could do that had an interest in promoting iris?

Linda in CW AZ