RE: HYB: Daylight Independent

A classification scheme does not have a one-to-one correspondence with

Keeping a record of rebloom and correlating it with temperatures at
night is a good exercise, and may help clarify things.

As far as I know, I'm the first person to use the term "Daylight
Independent Rebloomers" and I used it to describe  Forever Blue and
it's children. They all show  the same anytime rebloom. I don't see any
thing else  except for perhaps Precious Little Pink (IB) that show the
same pattern.

Forever Blue can bloom almost every day  during bloom season, and has
done so for me  in many seasons. Usually there is about 5-7 days
without bloom, at the end of the TB season, and then it starts again.
I havenbt seen anything even close to that in TBs, even with those that
have summer rebloom.

In Southern Ontario, Immortality is one of the first TB to bloom, and
it blooms around May 28th and finishes about June 15th. Rebloom is
about Aug 15th, about 60 days later.  This is the earliest of any
rebloom here on TBs.

To understand rebloom it is first necessary to understand the
mechanisms of bloom. Each perennial has its own pattern and timing
sequence. Rebloom is usually a disruption of normal triggers. I'm
talking biology here and pant biochemistry. For iris, there is  a need
for estivation. An extended cold period  such as winter that sets  next
years  incipient bloom stalk. Changes to the need for  cold weather or
a decreases of  degree of cold for the biological trigger  is probably
one difference between a oncer and a rebloomer. Thus rebloomers can set
a bloom stalk without a winter period.

This winter period is there to prevent a plant from dying  out over
winter, as the rhizome that blooms in the fall usually dies. Rebloomers
are usually also very vigorous and have many increases so that there is
still many daughter rhizomes  that survive over winter.  A compensation
for the rebloom trait  that permits survival. Remove one of these
traits and you don't have a rebloomer. Some plants may have a bloom
stalk set in a  rhizome that has not reached a size large enough to
support a bloom stalk, so it is not triggered to produce bloom stalk.
The bloom stalk also need other biological conditions to be met before
bloom is triggered.  As the rhizome  gains size later in the season,
these other conditions are met and the plant precedes with a bloom

When you get reports of rebloom in July, you also should look at when
spring bloom was.  It probably was at least 60 days or so after spring
bloom finished.

So I'll continue to use the term "Daylight Independent" to describe
Forever Blue and its children as it seems to describe a genetic
condition that they have. I haven't seen anything about Immortality and
ilk that would convince me that they are "Daylight Independent"

The  rebloom from Immortality and Forever Blue are defiantly different
genetic systems, based on result of crosses made between them.  Thus a
different term should be used for this early and reliable colder areas

Chuck Chapman