Re: HYB: Daylight independent

Chuck Chapman said:
<2) Shorter maturity time for rhizomes. This means that an increase can mature to bloom size faster then average. 5) Smaller trigger size for rhizome. This is a term I use to indicate size of the rhizome needed to trigger a bloom stalk and support it.6) Lesser dependence on cool evenings to develop bloom stalks.>

These three seem to be shortcomings with rebloom in IMM. In strong contrast to Sutton rebloomers! Which apparently send up normal bloomstalks in 100oF temperatures.

The clumps of IMM here do continue to send up stalks without replanting, but they are <not> abundant. 3 or 4 stalks per big clump is a lot. Lots of fertilizer, heavy mulch. Best stalk production was with 6 inches of raw horse droppings buried under enough chip mulch to cover, piled all around the clump.

IMM certainly can produce seedlings that have retro form, damp tissue on a stick blooms, but not too bad in some crosses, esp with some Schreiner intros. so far. Not expecting much in first generation, but maybe F3s. I've had a seedling or two from IMM that had heavy substance. Not keepers.

Have you gotten reports of FOREVER BLUE everblooming in USDA zones 9? Or humid southeast (zones 7 & 8)?

We have it reported as reblooming in CA, KS, MA, MD, MI, MT, NE, OR, TX, UT, Alberta, BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Ottawa USDA zones 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Nothing from TN, KY, GA, MS, NC.

Someone brought a pot of it to the Region 7 winter potluck last year, so I know it will grow in Kentucky/Tennessee, but I didn't get a chance to find out about rebloom.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8