Re: Halston

Finally!  A question about Halston!  And has also shed some light on an error
I made.

Barb asked me about Halston below.

Well, since I am hardly an expert on IB's or MTB's I'll compare it to the AIS
Judges Handbook and see how it measures up.

Based on the Handbook and the Adamgrove catalog I'll stand corrected.  It is
officially classified as a an IB.  It has always behaved uniformly for me.. as
n IB.  However, the IB classification encompasses a very broad range of
variables and plants with all kinds of backrounds.

In my opinion it was registered as an IB because it fit into that
classifiction, but I think it should have been EVALUATED as an imporperly
proportioned MTB.  The stalks are thin but too short.  The flowers are broader
and more square/blocky than what is "desired" in MTB's.  I tend to think of
plants based on their genetic disposition.  Halston has a fair amount of I.
aphylla in it, has the lower branch emerging from the base and is a fertile
tetraploid.  So hence my thinking of it as a MTB.  That was my intention in
it's use and remains so.  While in my early Iris education I learned MOST IB's
are crosses between SDB's and TB's, somewhat similar to the Aril 1/4 bred's
and their lineage and variable genetic makeup.

Based on it's breeding behavior though when crossed with TB's it has produced,
IB's, Border Beardeds and short TB's.  No MTB's at all.  None in the second
generation either.  So it is an IB genetically as well after all.

Hence we learn and adjust.  But I'm not changing my plans with its use.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 8