Re:HYB: Daylength independent

It   would be nice if it were that easy, that is crossing siblings of
Forever Blue X Immortality and checking the offspring. Even if we could
get seeds, I wouldnbt have any idea of how to go about making much
sense of it. Too many confounding variables.  As rebloom probably is a
combination of things, as I outlined in my proposed list, how each
factor contributing would be a daunting task.

To sort out what factors contribute what, we would need to start with a
hypothesis . Then select parents that are similar on all but the one
factor we are testing for. That is, has same bloom time, same growth
rate, same maturity rate etc etc. Then we would cross them and keep
track of all the different variables in the seedlings. Make a selection
of seedlings and cross them, and evaluate the same way. If it is a
multiple factor trait then we might have to evaluate experiment and
start all over again.  By the way, we would need enough plants to
properly run a statistical analysis, or at least form a reasonable
hypothesis. We would also need to keep track of daylight length,
temperature, minimum and maximum of both air and soil.

I didnbt try any crosses of the seedlings of FB X Immortality, but have
made many, many attempts with the seedlings of FB X Victoria Falls and
of FB X Celebration Song. So far. Out of about 60 tries, the only seed
pod is from one of the seedlings x an unrelated SDB. The true IBs ( SDB
X TB) are notoriously infertile.

To the list of Rebloom traits that I had listed Ibm going to add two
more possible traits.

1) Extra strong root growth as some have reported. This is longer and
more fibrous roots , which probably contribute to strong growth and the
ability to obtain extra nutrients from the soil.

2) The ability to have the biochemical that induces bloom stalk
development released in immature rhizomes.  This results in the plant
being able to produce a bloom on a rhizome when it reaches rhizome
trigger size ( the size needed to support a bloom stalk), later in the
season, ie summer bloom. This is a speculation based on the fact of the
summer bloom seen on Immortality and in some warmer climates , Romantic

A third extra factor could be heat tolerance. This could be as factor
in the hot weather rebloom that the Suttonbs have been getting.

As for the term bever bloomingb could you provide a working definition
of this.  While I have gotten from 160-172 days of bloom for Forever
Blue in several different years, the best I have gotten from any TB is
about 60 days max, and that would be from Immortality and Queen
Dorothy. Ibm just guessing at the days for these as I didnbt actually
count.  Immortality and Queen Dorothy just donbt fit my definition of
bEver bloomersb in any garden in Southern Ontario.

Chuck Chapman