From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 5:54 am
Subject: [iris] HYB: germination experiments/cold climate

After leaving ungerminated seeds in the fridge another month (after a day every other week at room temperature), I gave up on any more seeds germinating this winter.?
?
But as I was planting them in pots to spend the rest of the winter outdoors (unlikely to get below low 20s F the rest of this spring), I noticed several seeds <finally> starting to germinate in one more cross.?
?
7 months of chilling to germinate? Could 7 continuous months of chilling be equivalent to two winters of 3 1/2 months??
?
Or were those few days in between at room temperature enough to fool those stubborn seeds!?
?
Chuck, others in cold climates, how many months do you have outdoor low temperatures below 40oF (4oC)? (? do seed temperatures below freezing count?)?
?
?--?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8?
East Tennessee Iris Society <http://www.DiscoverET.org/etis>?