From: irischapman@aim.com
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 8:44 am
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: Daylength independent

I'd like to get more information on these plants. I have most of them?
here and they have rebloomed for me, but never that early, usually in?
Are these newer clumps or older very crowded clumps??
When do they normally bloom in spring. Earlier then most TBs? When do?
SDB bloom for you.?
Do they get water during the hot periods or just before hot periods??
Do they get any stray light from other sources during what would?
normally be dark periods. From house window, street lights etc.?
My plants are field grown nd have absolutely no extra light of any?
Iris are classified as "long Daylight" bloomers. They have discovered?
that this is incorrect as plants should be classified according to how?
much darkness they get. So "Short Nights" is probably more correct?
terminology. Most plants that are controlled by photoperiod have very?
specific and precise photoperiods needed to trigger FBI (Flower bud?
initiation). Disruption of the night lighting by even a small amount?
can disrupt this sequence. Plant growers will delay Chrysanthemum?
bloom by turning lights on at night for one minute each night until?
they reach the time they want, usually in time to have plants in?
flower for Mother's day.?
Plants that have had flower bud differentiation ( July/August at?
40-50F) will still need to reach the appropriate biomass (rhizome size?
and number of leaves) as well as have the photoperiod trigger. If the?
rhizomes are crowded, and not up to size, then they will not bloom.?
Normally plants can turn off the bloom trigger if the plants are not?
up to size, but this could be one of the biological functions that are?
Most plants will produce a chemical to protect it from hot weather?
around 40C (105F) . Even so I have had good rebloom in my unheated?
green house, and about 3 weeks earlier then the same cultivar in the?
field. (No extra light). The plants in the greenhouse did get good?
watering so there wasnbt any water stress, or at least much less then?
the field plants.?
Give me more info and we will go from there.?
Chuck Chapman?