From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:14 pm
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: germination experiments

I'm not sure - what would happen to the seeds in that batch that only needed <one> winter to germinate??
Would they try to germinate during a warm spell in January, then get killed when it turned cold again??
Or would they rot??
Or would they wait and germinate with the others??
Would they need a warm spell of a few days in the middle to trigger the second cycle??
Only way to find out would be to duplicate a cross we know had a bunch germinate both the first and second year. Only one like that I've done so far that I would care to repeat was BEHOLD A LADY X CELEBRATION SONG.?
Plus don't forget, they need to be moist and have air while refrigerated. Either burrito'd or in the pod in a baggie.?
Stored dry wouldn't have any effect.?
<For those of us that plant outside--Is it possible we could trick the seed by putting them in the refrigerator after collection, and then planting outside in pots normally?? Virtually eliminate second year germination???
Betty-KY- where we are under an ice storm warning.? >?
-- Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8?
East Tennessee Iris Society <http://www.DiscoverET.org/etis>?
Region 7, Kentucky-Tennessee <http://www.aisregion7.org>?
American Iris Society web site <http://www.irises.org>?
talk archives: <http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-talk/>?