HYB: Frozen Pollen, Germination & Again And Again

  • Subject: HYB: Frozen Pollen, Germination & Again And Again
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:41:29 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:41:30 -0500

Last spring was my first time using pollen frozen 2 years.
Worked just as well as the 1 year.

Linda - yes!  Just a few days at room temp is enough for at
least some seeds to think a summer has gone by.  That's why
I've taken to bringing them all out right after Christmas for
a few days.  I'll get a second flush of sprouts in time for them
to take advantage of spring growth.

I have a few from 05 that I've cycled cold/warm at least 6 times
that are still showing a few random sprouts.  Keeping them for
pure curiosity.  Mostly Renown seeds.

Getting a higher percentage of sprouts this winter that survived
to break ground and none have died when the seed-food ran out.
Am guessing it's due to the vigor of available pod parents from the
spring 2007 conditions.  Bet I also wind up with a higher percentage
of dogs.

Again And Again - Only TB to ever bloom May, June, July, August,
September, October here on same clump, same season.  Total Recall
has multiple-rebloomed at my folks' place in southwestern Indiana,
but never for me.  Immortality seems to respond more to water than
temp or light.  Even stops opening buds until a rain sometimes.

Am sure I could get better performance from some if I took better
care of them.  Working 6 days a week, I can only do so much.  Some,
like Bonus Mama, I reset late on purpose to discourage fall bloom,
so I'll have more blooms to play with at daubing time.

74 days to daubing time.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5