Re: HYB: germination experiments/cold climate

Yes, that could work. However what about the seeds that germinate at the usual 3-3 1/2 months and start to grow in the paper towels/bags/soil/pots while still in the refridgerator?  They need light.  Even though they are cold they are still growing.  Plants grown at very low temperatures don't need as much light to grow properly.  So if you could devise a way to give them light, say with a flourescent bulb in the refridgerator they should do ok.

Probably more trouble than ou want to go into but here's an idea.  Decide on some pots that are just big enough to hold a decent amount of soil and wide enough to place all the seeds of a cross in a single flat layer (or multiple pots for a large lot of seeds).  Then place the pots in a bedding flat tray with a piece of glass or plastic dome and a lightweight, portable, single-bulb, undercounter flourescent light on top of the dome.  This way the roots will grow down and leaves grow up, the seeds will stay moist and the ungerminated ones will sit there until they are ready.  The pots could then be moved into bigger pots at a later time in the Spring for temparature cycling.  Temperature cycling would only be necessay depending on how well the cross germinated on its own.  Seedlings could separated out indiviually and ungerminated seeds replanted.  Sand might be helpful in the pots instead of actual soil as it would be easier to separate roots and see seeds.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 8