Re: HYB: germination experiments/cold climate

Chuck, are you <sure> that this is the only germination inhibitor at work in <all> bearded iris seeds?

The seeds that went into the fridge the last two years were <not> dried first. They still took up to 7 months of chilling before they germinated.

I've tried planting fresh seeds in the past and none germinated - they all rotted. Others in the south have reported the same experience.

From what I was able to learn, TB seeds may require lower temperatures to germinate than we have when seeds are ripe here, so that may be the problem.

?

Or are you saying fresh seeds need to be washed 5 times?

I'm willing to try planting a few fresh seeds again, now that I have a small wine cooler to plant them in, <if> I have a junk cross I don't mind losing.

But I'm unconvinced that Ascorbic Acid is the only factor in delayed germination of some TB seeds. Especially those that thrive in my climate.

<The anti germination compound is Ascorbic Acid , short form ABS. This
increases 100 fold as seeds are drying out. ...Washing seeds in about five soaks in water for
about 1 day each  should remove all the ABS. Some experiments with
planting fresh iris seed before  they dry out, has resulted in good
germination without any cold periods. By planting before they dry out,
they are planted before the formation of ABS.>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8