Re: Info: Speaking of monies for new iris clubs

When one thinks about it, it is quite wonderful that
as many regions and affiliates have websites. There
are still at least 30% of AIS members that do not have
internet access. Technology has been progressing
faster than the collective knowledge has been able to
assimilate or afford. As public relations chairman for
AIS I would encourage all clubs to create websites.
Irisarians are still adapting to the new internet
possibilities. The American Iris Societys website is
still evolving and all other websites are also. One
limitation is finding volunteers with the expertise to
work on the website. So even if a club wanted to do
many things with their website they may not have the
time or the expertise.

The Question was Do Regions and affiliates put their
financial statements on their websites. I do not know
of any that do this and I would suggest it is much
less important than having an interesting evocative
website that promotes Iris and the local organization.
Two features I would love to see on every website is a
contact person with phone number for the club and a
notice of the next event they are having with time and
place. This is not as easy as it sounds but is the
crucial information if someone is interested in
joining a club. Financial statements are presented at
meetings and are published once a year in regional
bulletins. The American Iris Society tries to maintain
such data on their website but Regional clubs and
affiliates should not model their websites on the
nationals site.

The American Iris Society creates the structure that
helps the regions and affiliates exist but tries to
let each of these function with as much flexibility as
possible. Local issues are decided at the local level.
 Local clubs generally have the greatest resources
available per member. Only a little money flows upward
to the regions and even less to the national
organization. This is because most money raising
projects occur locally, fewer regionally, and the
national has no great money making projects except
perhaps the silent auction at convention. When
insurance costs reached a high a couple of years ago
the national was dependent on the local clubs for
donations to balance the budget. We occasionally have
members that donate to the national or leave bequests
in their wills; but these usually go into restricted
funds. It would be nice if the AIS had greater
resources but at present the real wealth lies in our
affiliates.

=== message truncated ===