Re: {Disarmed} FW: [iris-photos] HYB: Random seedlings

Right, Francelle -- I have KNOCK 'EM DEAD, and I think you could put this on the bench beside it and the judges would mistake them for each other. This seedling has a just slightly darker brown edge on the falls than does KED, and lacks KED's faint white edge on the standards, but one would have to be looking closely in order to distinguish them. This is a pretty good example of an iris that looks too much like an introduced variety to be introduced, itself. Interestingly, other than Ringo, they appear not to share any other recent common ancestry. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:02 AM
Subject: [iris] {Disarmed} FW: [iris-photos] HYB: Random seedlings

Thank you for the picture, Griff.  I always like to see other people's
seedling pictures whether or not they make me envious.

This seems to be a common color pattern.  Last summer I had a couple of
dozen seedlings bloom from Pond Lily X Pink Champagne, two of my favorite
irises and also favorite parents.  They say, "Cross your best with your
best". I was disappointed with the results. Two thirds of them looked just
like this one.  They remind me of Knock'em Dead.  I kept one for further
breeding.  It has nice stalks and bud count, superior vigor and gave me a
huge seed pod which my dog ate.  The rest of that cross were pale lavender
and pink bi-colors, nothing outstanding. It was an interesting experiment.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9