From: irischapman@aim.com
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:27 am
Subject: [iris] Re:HYB: Daylength independent

A lot of factors to look at. The rapid increase is one thing I ws?
looking at with the cross of Forever Blue x Celebration song. there?
are a couple of seedlings that do have increadable incesase. IAt first?
bloom, that is the spring after seed germinated, FB had four flower?
stalks open. The ususal for SDB is one, occasionally two stalks at?
this time. After spring bloom finished I divided FB. there were 9?
plants?
?
About summer rebloom.?
?
Betty, Between spring bloom and July bloom appears to be close to 12?
weeks. Enough time for a rhizome to mature.?
So it is hard to tell if it was a left over rhizome that had cone?
through winter but didn't have biomass to bloom or new rhizome.?
Another possibility is that it is very sensitive to the light from any?
other source, such as the security light. This leads to the?
speculation that some plants are more sensitive to this them others.?
?
One more possibility is the difference in daylight between here and?
wher you are (Bettry, Linda and evryone else reporting July bloom) I?
get longer summer daylight then you do. The farther north , the longer?
summer days are. Thus shorter nights and we wouldn't get the night time?
darkness necessary t otrigger bloom until later in year.?
?
Chuck Chapman?
?
?