Re: Re: HYB: Daylength independent

See my comments below, please.  --  Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <irischapman@aim.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 5:40 PM
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: Daylength independent

I have read another account of early summer bloom in some plants, including Immortality, Queen Dorothy and Baby Blessed . Rebloomn starting in June and continuing to Fall. Plants were in an area where they got light all night from a security light. It makes me wonder about all those other reports of June/July rebloom. What were the lighting conditions?

All three of these cultivars are, or were, in my front garden. I recall that, in QUEEN DOROTHY's first year here, it bloomed in spring, again in July, then 3 more times until late fall. It has not repeated that performance. In fact, it seldom reblooms at all, despite having been moved in the garden more than once. The only major difference in conditions from then until now is that the county several years ago installed a streetlight, over my objections, about 50 yards down the street, so that the garden no longer is in full darkness at night. Might that have an effect? I do not know. BABY BLESSED rebloomed in most years, but IMMORTALITY does not rebloom here.

Here's another puzzler: HAUNTING reblooms reliably at Halloween here (zone 7a), and does the same at Winterberry Gardens (zone 6b), despite the fact that Winterberry's elevation is 1,000 feet higher than mine and its peak spring bloom is 2 weeks later than mine. We are at the same latitude. This would seem to indicate that temperature is not the deciding factor as far as HAUNTING is concerned.