Re: iris DIGEST V1 #502

Chuck

First,
thanks for putting all this time into writing about the rebloom triggers
etc...
It sure helps our slow minds get deeper into the subject!

Second,
since you got some reblooming seedlings with Forever Blue ...
( FB crossed to  fall cyclic reboomers, Autumn
Tangerine, Victoria Falls, yield  fall cyclic rebloomers),

...have you back-crossed these sdlgs with Forever Blue? or crossed them with
other sdlgs involving Forever Blue ?
Some of the genes in these second generation crosses could be compatible and
the reshuffle might lead to getting back to Forever Blue type of rebloom (with
the added bonus of flower shape improvement, different height or colour ).

As i told you before, i have seedlings that should bloom this spring from
Forever Blue crossed with the SDBs Cry Baby (RE), Star of Africa, Chubby
Cheeks, James Bond, Roman Noir, Westar and Eramosa skies, with the BB Mezza
Cartuccia, the IBs  AZ-AP( RE) and Step Ahead and the TB Breakers (RE).
I intend to cross them  together and get 2nd generation seedlings with 50%
Forever Blue genes.
I will also back cross some of them with Forever Blue itself, and get 75%
Forever Blue genes.

I can't wait to see them bloom already.
The rebloom will take a couple more years to be sure, With the spring-only
bloomers, the results are immediate, and if ever a rebloom occurs, it's just a
bonus, (or a curse, for some...)
Instead, we must leave half empty beds for 2 more years in order to see if the
happy few that made it through the spring selection will ever rebloom...!
With the shortage of room here, it's a luxury i could live without!
Guess that's why so few people get involved with them, like Mike Sutton said,
"it's because it's more work!!!"

Loic (with 2 dots on the i)
Loic TASQUIER
who, like Betty, could die (or kill...)  for a repeat, cycle & everblooming /
continuous / non-daylight dependant  rebloomer!
     zone 7 - Nederland
 Email : tasquierloic@cs.com