Re: HYB: Daylength independent

Chuck, I thought that this was only true most of the time, but that it is possible to get a rare 'break', where parts of the sets of 8 which <do> match with parts of the sets of 12 can get tangled up and then reshuffle in future generations (if the resulting plant isn't totally sterile).

Judging from how often short, dwarf looking, 'grassy' foliaged, seedlings show up from IMM & HARVEST OF MEMORIES X TB crosses, I suspect those two and quite a few other TBs with dwarf ancestry have some sets of dwarf chromosomes that sort out separately every chance they get. The clones of I. variegata that I've tried to grow haven't grown any taller than aphylla here. Variegata survives better. Aphylla "prodan" is taller. So I'm guessing either species could be contributing dwarf looking genes to TBs, since I think both have been reported to produce rebloom.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you think FB gets it's rebloom genes from the pumila side or from some ancestral aphylla or variegata on the TB side. Or both.

[Which reminds me, I forgot that I was going to post what you sent me offlist about pumila spot pattern back when you were having trouble getting access to iris-talk.... ]

<All SDB are half Iris pumilla, with the two sets of 8 chromosomes, and the other two set are two sets of 12 , from mixed species. The sets of 8 don't exchange genetic information with the two sets of 12 as they are amphidiploid.>
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8