In a message dated 31/01/97  18:04:02, Clarence says

<< Modernity has no monopoly on beauty. >>

It is time that this attitude was carried over to other areas of the iris
world - bearded irises especially.
We've already seen discussion on this list of the popularity of historics.
They mostly do not have modern form. But, as I've said before, a good plant
will ALWAYS be popular and that is what most gardeners want.
I've been toying with the idea of breeding "new historics" (if only I could
find the time) using blood from old (pre 1950) varieties. Maybe a few
outcrosses with the really outstanding newer stuff (Immortality, Az Ap,
Vanity spring to mind). A rich yellow or dark blue that grows and blooms like
Jane Phillips and has the same scent would be great.
Perhaps HIPS could sponsor an award for this area to encourage hybridisers to
do some work here. How would the judging standards be defined?

Awaiting lots of feedback on this one......

Graham Spencer