HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the iris list

Dear Iris list - I am so glad that you were born!    This has been such a
wonderful forum to get answers and ideas for solutions to all kinds of
challenges in growing and enjoying all kinds of irises.  This is the first
place I came when I finally figured out which com port my modem was wired
into (at 2400 Baud - creak) - just wandered in the door and found all these
wonderful people having an iris convention.  I got here just a few weeks
after it started, and haven't been able to leave.

Special thanks to Tom Little (for encouraging me to go buy a real modem,
among other things) and Mike Lowe and Clarence Mahan and everybody else who
made this happen.

Some highlights for me from the first year of the life of the list -
Sharon McAllister and Tom Little's complicated and detailed genetics lessons
and Sharon's step by step directions for hybridizing (and more recent
discussion of same by others).
Meeting Lloyd Zurbrigg - the daddy of several of my 'experienced' cultivars.
Finding so many people who like to swap and give away rhizomes!  More than my
greedy little heart could desire.
Meeting so many witty friends who really brighten the winters (and summer
doldrums) with our shared obsession.
The truly amazing willingness of so many to take the time to discuss and
answer nearly every one of my zillions of questions.
and of course Clarence's constant enthusiasm for AIS and irises.

Oh, and all the redneck jokes, and MAYTAG RED, and four thousand ways that
don't work to repel deer, and dogs that herd wild rabbits, and 50 million
posts about rot and tall bearded iris varieties, and how to lose money
growing irises,....

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many happy returns.