Re: Do Iris Grow on Trees?

WOODY IRIDACEAE - Nivenia, Klattia, Wittsenia

I was going to keep out of this because "I knows nuffink" about woody
iridaceae beyond the fact that they do exist. To the best of my knowledge
they are mainly of botanical interest only and have little garden value
(ready to be flamed for that one!).

I believe that the book is by Peter Goldblatt so it will be excellent. His
book on Watsonia is as gorgeous as the plants themselves, and is hugely
informative.

The three genera under discussion are all South African natives. According to
the RHS Index of Garden Plants (another very useful book):

Klattia - a genus of two shrubby herbs (whatever that may mean) with leafy
stems.
Nivenia - a genus of 9 evergreen shrubby perennials related to Aristea (?).
Witsenia - a genus of just one shrubby perennial to 2 metres (=80 inches)!!

Aristea are herbaceous (so the book says).
All are described as USDA zone 9.
Now I would look these up in Clive Innes'  World of Iridaceae...... but I
can't find my copy )-:

Might be fun, but would need a glasshouse here (zone 7b) - has anyone grown
any of these plants?

Graham Spencer
croftway@aol.com