Thornbird and the Handbook

The move to get more than one TB to vote on for the Dykes was not a result of
anyone not liking Thornbird, they didn't care for past year's TB. Actually as
long as the society does not want to have more than one balloting for the
award, it will be a question of getting the most rather than a majority of
the votes. I believe the variety must have at least 15% of votes cast to
vote. One hybridizer commented that if one of his varieties only got 15% of
the vote he would return the medal!

I would be glad if Phil Williams were in charge of the Handbook. I have
attended his judges training and very much enjoyed (agreed with) his
approach. I also admire anyone willing to climb over a fence to see my
garden. This last is not entirely a safe proposition because we have a pot
bellied pig who does not always greet visitors with charm.