Re: Root stimulators for irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Root stimulators for irises
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:58:15 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco wrote (31 Jan 97):

> > In my experience I have found that Vitamin B1 root stimulator has
worked
> > > fine for me.  Soak the rhizome for a half hour in this solution,
plant
> > > the rhizome then pour the solution in a circle around the rhizome.

	In an article published in the AIS Bulletin (January, 1990:p.84) Adele
Lawyer debunked the concept of Vitamin B1 as a transplanting aid. However
the product you name has other ingredients, so read on.

 Rick Tasco writes further (31 Jan 97):
> I guess I should have copied this from the label the first time.
> "Liquinox is especially formulated to help reduce transplant shock AND
> to stimulate feeder root growth.  Liquinox is an effective transplant
> solution for use on all types of transplants, including bare root roses,
> shrubs, bedding plants.  Light frequent applications of Liquinox will
> result in good, healthy root structure and successful planting".
>
> I suppose we all at one time or another experienced some rhizomes which
> will not start root growth for whatever reason.  You give them a tug and
> they lift right out of the ground.  Try this.  It works.  They will be
> off and growing in no time.  It is not mentioned on the label, but I
> soak my hard to start rhizome(s) for a half hour in the solution which
> is one tablespoon per gallon.

	I have certainly experienced stubborn rhizomes who hold their breath 'til
they turn blue in the face and refuse to put out new roots. Rick seems to
say that when they do this he gives them a dose of 'Liquinox' and they
start acting like they should. My question is, would there be enough time
to wait around and see which rhizomes were not taking root, and then treat
them and get a response in Zone 4 (before everything went into winter
dormancy) or would it be necessary to treat all rhizomes before initial
planting?

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997